Sunday, May 30, 2010

Just Chew It


A huge part of any lifestyle overhaul is just getting out there and moving. But if one of those movements you're having trouble with is pulling your jeans up over your hips, sooner or later you'll have to turn your attention to the fork-lift (as in lifting your fork to your mouth). I did not turn in my resignation as the West Coast's Chapter President of the Chub Club by exercise alone, although it would have been easier if I could have. No matter how many squats, sprints, and sit-ups I mastered, the pounds didn't really start their downward spiral until I took a new approach to my diet. And you know what? It sucked. It really really really sucked. It's not fair that I have to watch what I eat when I log in seven or eight hours of exercise a week. Hell, I should be able to go through 1-12 on the McDonald's value meal menu with the amount of intervals I clock . . . but I can't. And neither can most people. Even you're shredding 500 calories a workout, you still have to create a daily caloric deficit to lose weight. Translate: "Congratulations on the 18mile bike ride . . .now put that mother^&*#ing bag of chips down."

I don't just like to eat, I love to eat. I love to have people over for a shrimp boil and beer, and I love to cook big meals for friends and families on the holidays. Food is the great common denominator in some of my favorite memories, and because of that I refuse to look at it as the enemy. Instead, food is my "frienemy" I will always have food in my life, and I will always have a great time when we're out on the town together trying new things. But sometimes my frienemy is just a little bitch that wants me to buy a pair of elastic pants.

For me, the best way to handle this relationship has been to focus on quantity. Seems silly I know, but it was quantity that got me into this mess and quantity that got me out. I made a deal with myself that I could east as many fruits and vegetables as I wanted . . . no limits. But in exchange, I would reduce the amount of simply carbohydrates and fats I consumed. I keep my plates around 30/70. 70% veggies and the other 30% lean protein and complex carbohydrates. For example, if we were having spaghetti and marinara sauce for dinner, I'd thrown in some extra veggies in the sauce and then serve mine over steamed cauliflower instead of pasta. Is it the same as a rich sauce over linguine? Hell no. But it's not half bad, and I got in about 4 more servings of veggies than the schlub eating the shells and a fraction of the calories. Another trick is doing breakfast for dinner and throwing in a whole package of spinach with an egg white scramble and whole grain toast. The variations go on and on. By focusing on fruits and vegetables as my diet's mainstay, I not only get all the essential nutrients I need to keep me going, but I can also eat a ridiculously big plate and still fit in my skinny jeans tomorrow.

I'm posting one of my favorite summer recipes below . . . Watermelon Salad. Its got tons of lycopene, antioxidants, and tummy filling water. Make yourself a big bowl and serve it with some grilled chicken or fish. You'll have a complete meal, a well fueled body, and zero guilt!

Watermelon Salad*
Seeded and Cubed Watermelon
Arugula or Some Other Peppery Lettuce
Red Onion, Sliced Thin
Maytag Blue Cheese

Toss all four together and serve cold.

* I don't know quantities because I'm Southern, and we never measure anything. But the general gist is to use a lot of watermelon for the sweetness and scale back on the cheese (you really won't need that much anyway because it's such a strong flavor).

No comments:

Post a Comment